Submitted by Ewan on
Ready-made QGIS stylesheets (QML) for OpenStreetMap are available for download. These were created and tested with QGIS version 2.2 on Debian GNU/Linux 7.
The suggested layer order follows. Note that some layers need to be loaded multiple times to enable differing label styles in QGIS.
- osm_transport_points (station)
- osm_transport_points (junction)
- osm_motorways (motorway)
- osm_motorways (trunk)
In order to improve rendering speed you may wish to use the generalised layers as they hold less detail which may not be visible at some scales anyway. We found the following to be effective without apparent loss of render quality. For scales of
- 1:1 to 1:500,000, use the ungeneralised layers;
- 1:500,000 to 1:1,000,000, use the generalised-1 layers, and
- 1:1,000,000 and above, use the generalised-0 layers.